Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Book Review and My Thoughts About Don't Eat this Book by Morgan Spurlock

This book might  inform you and then scare you into eating a healthier diet.


These are some things I learned while reading this interesting and at times funny book.

I never realized how little I knew about the foods I have been eating for years and the overall big business of the Food Industry.

I had already decreased my visits to fast food restaurant before I started reading this book. So glad of this because I would have been really been even more grossed out.Eating at fast food places excessively is extremely bad for your overall health. I cannot say I will never ever eat a burger again but I thankfully am lot more aware of what it might contain.

Your eating habits define your health. If you want to be healthy eat healthy foods. Everything in moderation.

McDonalds is not the enemy. That is not what this book was about. Eating greasy salty foods everyday and not exercising will sabotage your health. Think about what you put into your mouth and what the effect on your longterm health will be.

The McDiet had a horrible impact on Spurlock's health but not exercising made everything worse. The rundown of his doctor's check up reports were was the scariest information in the book. Obesity and high blood pressure can end your life.

Creepy fact: Food is not supposed to be indestructible. An example in the book was of a french fry left in your car for weeks. A regular potato will age over time and start to decompose. This is normal. The fast food french fried will look a tiny bit different but because of the preservatives and oil will stay about the same.

Not being educated about how fast food is prepared and being persuaded by advertising lead me to a life long bad habit of making very bad food choices. This resulted in me playing a potentially dangerous game with my health. I had experienced some of the side effects he described in the book but I always thought that was normal. Food is supposed to give you energy NOT weight you down and make you feel bad after you finish eating it.

Soda: Nothing good to say about it. No nutritional value. Soda makes you fat. I don't even want to think about all the gallons upon gallons of sweet tea I had consumed from many years. Never did I ever take seriously the fact that sugary drinks can make you gain weight. I haven't drank soda in many months.

I wish I had read this book many years ago. Maybe I would not have gained all the weight I gained over the years. Thankfully, I have lost a lot of weight but I have a ways to go before I reach my healthy goal.

Don't Eat This Book: Fast Food and Supersizing of American By Morgan Spurlock is a very interesting book that will probably change the way you think about eating out. Healthy is always better in the long run.

Sidenote: I haven't seen the documentary. To be truthfully, I'm a little scared to see this book be brought to life. I'm still getting over being grossed out.

Have you read this book? Do you eat out a lot? How healthy do you eat?


Overall this book was an easy read but I did kinda glance quickly over the statistic parts of the book. I got my wake up call big time. Clean up your diet. Eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as possible.

Here is another book review I did previously  - 201 Healthy Smoothies and Juices for Kids.

Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment