Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

Jerry Cantrell Is Not Only A Great Guitarist But A Cool Guy

This is the best my poor little camera could do. Jerry looked and played amazing that night.

I wish I had be able to meet Mr. Jerry Cantrell but I felt like I got a really good understanding about how he feels about his music and his fans. On May 7, 2014 in Raleigh NC, I was blessed to be able to attend my first Alice in Chains concert.

When I bought my ticket for Alice in Chains in  early February of this year (in a snowstorm), I knew I was excited about seeing an awesome band but I never knew I was also going to learn about hard work and having a passion for your life's work.

A lot of people have seen and heard Jerry Cantrell play on videos or on the radio. You really do not get a real true sense of how good he is until you see him play live. Jerry was playing because he loved what he was doing and because he really wanted to share his love of playing with his fans.

He played with such passion and determination. After years and years of playing the same songs over and over, you would think he would be bored or phone it in. I went to a John Mayer concert once where he started off one of his popular songs by saying "Well lets get this over with." Not joking. That was twelve years ago and I still remember Mayer making me mad with that careless comment.

I still cannot believe all the things that lined up my life in order for me to be able to end up standing in the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium watching and listening to one of my favorite bands of all time. I learned about setting a goal and overcoming a lot of obstacles to reach that goal. All the time I have been obsessed with this band, I never EVER thought I would be able to see them live much less watch them perform up close. Incredible.

One of the big reasons, I love Alice in Chains is they have a very public history that involves many personal tragedies. This band picked themselves up personally and professional then evolved into a new version of the band. I am so proud of their persistence and resilience. They are completely passionate and professional when it comes to their music and their legacy.

Jerry's guitar solos were an absolute treat to watch. He really got into "Man In The Box." After playing that same song thousands of times, I could see he got completely in to his rock it hard as he could zone. I just stood there in awe just trying to absorb it all.

More Alice in Chains blog posts to come.


Check out my earlier post where I "stalk" the AIC tour buses. No. Nothing like that happened :)

Have you been to any Alice in Chains concerts? Will you be attending any of the shows on their Spring Tour?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment